Wednesday, April 25, 2012

House Exterior Dilema

Yesterday Chad and I went to the Design Center to pick out all of the guts of our house..light fixtures, trim, cupboards, floors, etc. We were a bit disappointed in the selections (price) they had for us. A lot of their "standard" features were crap!! I dont know where they could possibly be getting their supply from....The  standard carpet is the best example of this; it was sandpaper!!!!!!!! The 40 year old carpet in our rental is in better condition than the crap they wanted to put in our house!!!!!!!! We definetly had to "upgrade". I few things like that were a disappointment (to get white cabinets in the kitchen like I have always dreamed of would have been $5000!!!), but in the end we are happy with what we have and I know I am just being a stress case right now and will LOVE everything once we move in :)
Now that I have vented a little lets get back to the purpose of this post..the house exterior :) I had to set up another appointment for this coming Tuesday to finalize this, our interior decorator that was helping us was not on the same page as me!! It was very frustrating, I had a perfect idea of what I wanted and she kept trying to steer me in another direction! In the end I was just too flustered and frustrated to make a decision! I didnt think the color scheme I had in mind was bad...... :( I am really wanting to go for a light country feeling; with light colors such as white, light grey, and a blue or minty green or maybe even a yellow :) However she kept trying to get me to go towards dark greys, navy, dark green, or beige..NOO!!!!!!!!!!! Was my idea really that bad? I want you to tell me!! I found this cool website that allowed me to pick the colors for a house and save it. I am going to number the homes below and I want you to tell me what one is your favorite, or if I really am crazy..... :)

 #1 grey w/ blue
   #2 grey w/ yellow
 #3 grey w/ mint

 #4 grey w/white



 #5 white w/ grey

Tell me what you think!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. #4 grey with white. I think grey with a darker grey would be nice as well. It is always hard to pick things out. We always had to upgrade things too. Try to have fun with it.I am so excited for you all,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grey with white looks really good! I have an all white house with siding like that right now and we have to pressure wash it every 4 months to keep it clean. But I love accenting with a little white. The grey looks really nice. So excited for you guys! Picking out stuff for homes is so much fun. =) Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also...the designer you were talking to is in Utah! haha. =) I made the same comments to Ryan when I was going through design school. EVERYTHING was brown, red, tan, and wrought iron accents! I can't even tell you how much I can't stand it now not because it doesn't look good but because it does not reflect THEIR personal style and personalty. Lol. =) You are not crazy! Haha. I think those colors SCREAM your style. Haha. Which is exactly what you said. Country Chic. Let me know if you need help with anything. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Kayla!! Thats good to know about white houses being so dirty, I was just starting to lean that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google is being weird and there is nowhere to comment so I am replying here. I am indecisive so I am giving you the one I like LEAST, which is the mint. I am not sure why but I am not a fan of that one. I do like 1, 2, and 4 the best.
      This is your house that you are going to live in so make sure you do what you want and not what a random designer wants. You are pretty confident in your style so go with it.

      Delete
  5. I like number 1! gray and blue. But the gray and white is nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like 1, 4, and 5. I don't think yellow is a bad color for a house, it's definitely ok in the East Coast and in beach areas, but of course does not fit into the cookie cutter Utah houses, (which, by the way, who would want?! Obviously your designer, ha ha!)My mission president told me building a house was the most stressful time in their marriage. Chad could totally build you white cabinets, I want white with bead board. Our old landlord's father in Provo built our cabinets in our old place, maybe you could hire him for less! Can't wait to see the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1,4 & 5. And despite the potential maintanence issues, I really like #5 for a light, cottage look. Just remember to stick up for what you want. It's your house, not the designer's. A good designer will work WITH your style not try to CHANGE it. If it means your house will stand out in the neighborhood, so what? As I dream about someday painting our exterior, I imagine color schemes I like that would also make my house stand out from the rest on the street. I would be OK being identified by my house: "oh, you live in the RED one." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the grey and white or the grey with blue. They are very "Sara" colors.

    ReplyDelete