The morning she was born I went in for my weekly Doctors appointment. Chad came with me this time; I had decided to get my membranes stripped and I heard it could be very painful so he came for support :) At 10am my membranes were stripped (which actually wasnt too bad--uncomfortable but not painful) Dr said that he had literally stripped everything and that I was dilated at a 3 (which I had been all month..) and that he thought there was a 75% chance I would go into labor in the next 24hrs. I asked him how I would know when I should go to the hospital--I knew stripping your membranes could cause cramping so I didnt want to confuse that for labor. He told me that once I had INTENSE contractions--meaning I couldnt stand or talk--every five minutes for an hour I should go to the hospital. Alrighty.
Chad and I ran a few errands, he then took me home and since I was not feeling any cramping he decided to go to work.
At about Noon I felt my first contraction. and then another..and another. They were happening fairly quickly, every 10 min or less, but they weren't intense, I was still walking around just fine. I decided to clean the house a bit, finish packing my hospital bag and just get things ready.
At one I called Chad and told him I felt like he should come home (he works 45 min from home). No, my contractions were not intense but they were coming about every five minutes and I just thought it would be good for him to be here. I texted a few neighbors to see who would be home that evening to watch Lucy because I "thought" I might be in labor. :)
A little before 2 Chad gets home. I am dying at this point. Now this is INTENSE labor. My contractions are every 3 min or less. Chad hurries to finish packing, got everything settled with neighbors for Lucy and we head to the hospital.
At about 2:30 we arrive at the Hospital. I am a wreck. My body is shaking from the pain. Chad wheels me in as fast as possible. They get me into a room and check me--I am dilated to a 6. They ask if I want an epidural and I cry out that I do :) They start my IV and we wait for my epidural.... My contractions are every minute now. Chad is doing great at helping me through them. 10-15 min later the anesthesiologist arrives and starts doing his thing. I did not like the guy. I was in intense pain I felt like he was kinda rude to me about it, plus it took forever! 10 min of him playing around with a needle in my back while I try to hold still. Chad had to remind me to breathe. I was crying, the anesthesiologist kept hitting bone and would have to try again. At this point I could FEEL the baby coming. I tried to tell me nurse, she said they were almost done....
As soon as he was done they let me lie back down and check me again, I was at a 9.5. They hurried and called the Dr. thankfully his office is right next to the hospital. He arrived a few minutes later and broke my water, which actually felt great and was a huge relief. My epidural was starting to kick in--taking the edge of my contractions but at this point I was feeling so much pressure to push that I couldn't really feel my contractions anyways. I started pushing, it was so hard and painful, I was crying. I felt like she was crowning forever and I was on fire. They had to do a small episiotomy--which I felt and screamed at... then she was here! All beautiful and sitting right on my lap! Such a tiny little angel in my arms. And suddenly everything was right again
Olive was born at 3:15 weighing 6lbs 9oz and 17.5 inches long.
Lucy loves her baby and is the sweetest big sister.
I have been enjoying resting and being with my two girls and amazing hubby :) I feel so good! My recovery has been amazing! I was expecting the worst (it was so hard with Lucy..) and I feel like I have had the best. We are such a happy and grateful family!!
Check out those fingers! so long :)
tail end of a smile... so precious







I always enjoy reading those stories, but I'll admit that I was feeling queasy just reading about your experience!! Ahh! I can't believe it was so fast and so crazy, but I'm glad that everything worked out alright and that you didn't have to have another girl in the NICU! She's such a cutie, by the way, and I love how much Lucy loves her!
ReplyDeleteawwww she is so cute! And that sounds like an intense labor! With Theo I was a 6 when I got to the hospital, and I was shaking really bad too! I also screamed. A lot! And it was like heaven when I got the epidural (which I think was at least an 8 when I got it so I can't imagine you getting it not quite in time. I would be crying for sure). So happy your recovery is going well! Keep the pictures coming!
ReplyDeleteShe is soooo beautiful Sara! Congratulations! I look forward to reading more about your changes to life with 2 little ones!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie! It's so fun to see a tiny little baby, (and even better to cuddle one!) Glad she's here, healthy, and happy! I swear the quick labors and early babies come from the Gibbons...Hope you continue to recover well and thanks for getting her story up on the blog so fast!
ReplyDelete